You can extend LibreOffice functionalities using third party extensions.
Extensions make life easier with additional features for Writer, Draw, Calc, Impress modules in LibreOffice. There are hundreds of LibreOffice extensions available today. Here’s how you can install it.
However, the extensions are not individually reviewed by official LibreOffice developers. Therefore use the downloaded extensions with caution. Hence, I would recommend you to install and test it in a sample document before using it in final document. You can create a sample Writer document using auto generated text.
How to Install LibreOffice Extensions
- Download any extension from LibreOffice extension website.
- For this tutorial I have used Code Highlighter extension which is a Writer extension to syntax highlight programming language your codes inside Writer.
- Click on the green download button to download the extension from the website. Save the extension in any place in your computer. The extension files are of *.oxt type i.e. Open document extension.
- Open Writer and from menu go to Tools -> Extension Manager Or press CTRL+ALT+E.
- On the extension manager window, click Add and browse-select the downloaded *.oxt file. Click on the Accept button for terms and condition and wait for the extension to be loaded.
- Once loaded you can see the added extension in the extension manager window.
- Press Close and restart LibreOffice. You should restart all instances of LibreOffice.
- Now you can see the sample extension is loaded. Also the code highlighter extension (for this example) is added as menu items as below.
- Now you can put some code, select and click desired programming language to highlight using this extension.
This is the way you can try multiple extension available in the extension website. Drop a comment below if this tutorial helped you or if you are facing any trouble using extensions.