This tutorial would show how to use a basic range based data validation in LibreOffice Calc using a drop down list.
While accepting data in a Calc sheet, it is possible to provide user a choice of items in a form of drop-down list. User can select desired value from the drop-down instead of custom text. This eliminates the possibility of error, duplicate in the data entry/collection process.
Let’s look at how this can be done using an example.
Data Validation using Drop down
- Say, we want users to select their favorite fruits in cell B1 from a list of fruits which is F1:F4.
- Select cell B1 and from menu select Data -> Validity.
- In the Validity window, Criteria tab, select “Cell Range” against Allow field.
- Check Show selection list and un-check allow empty cells.
- In the source field, click the small Shrink button at the right and select the F1:F4 range.
- Press Ok.
In the cell B1, you can see a small down-arrow button. Click the button and the drop down would show the list of values from the source range.
Now, you can select a value from the drop-down list.
If user wants to type a different value in cell B1, the data validation would give an error by default saying it is invalid value.