This advanced tutorial will explain how you can suppress or clear out recent document list in LibreOffice. This applies to the all LibreOffice suits of components (Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw etc).
If you are an everyday or a professional LibreOffice user and work daily with sensitive or critical documents for your work purpose in your organizations in a shared system; you might want to suppress/delete the recent documents list after your work is finished. Also you might not want to show the other user what are the documents you are working on. LibreOffice’s recent document list holds 25 last used documents including its path by default.
If you want to suppress the list you have to change some advanced settings and there will not be any record of the documents that you are working on if you follow below steps.
WARNING: Once you clear/delete the recent document list using below steps, it is permanently deleted from all components Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math, Base. Even if you undo the below changes, your recent document list will not be back.
Steps to Suppress Recent Document List
- Go to Tools > Options or press ALT+F12.
- On the left side under LibreOffice, click Advanced. Click Open Expert Configuration.
- On the Expert Configuration Window, type picklist and click search. PickListSize property holds a number of files to be stored as history which we are going to make it as zero.
- Select PickListSize and click Edit. On the edit window, change the value to 0. You can check the PickListSize value is zero. Click OK and close all dialog.
- Now you can go back and check all recent document list is cleared and its empty!
This is the way you can suppress recent document list in LibreOffice.
Though this processes is bit tricky and uses tweaking of some advanced settings; However this method can be useful for many occasions. I feel that instead of changing an advanced settings, there should be an option to clear out this recent documents list in a straight forward way for general users (like menu option).
Drop a comment below if you have any questions. You might want to check out other writer tutorials and tips.